Thursday, June 2, 2011

Error signing up for Vendor Portal for Blackberry App World: Solved

"We are not able to process your payment using your PayPal account at this time. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow. "

The solution was to have a confirmed credit card on the PayPal account.  I also happen to have a verified bank account on PayPal, but I don't know if that is required by RIM.  To confirm a credit card, the card has to be added to the PayPal account, then there's a process where they charge $1.95 to the card with a specific description.  After 2 days, I was able to access the charge description online and enter that description back into PayPal.  Once entered, I was able to complete the Blackberry registration.  Now I have to wait for RIM to review the application and let me know what the next step is. 

Background
Here's the background of how I found this problem.  I had a signed bar file ready to upload to RIM, but I was getting an error just trying to sign up for the Vendor Portal for Blackberry App World on step 3 of 4, verifying my PayPal account.  I have a verified bank account through PayPal and there are no online restrictions on the credit card I'm using.  In fact, the bank has verified that the RIM transaction has been approved by my credit card.  Nonetheless, I get the same error every time.  I have tried to contact RIM support through their online form, but I wasn't holding my breath for a response... Also, I had already signed up with RIM for the BlackBerry SDK, so it seems a little strange that I have to repeat the entire process again to upload my completed app, although this time they're verifying a PayPal account.

Additional Info about registering
3 business days after finishing the Registration, I finally got an email back from BlackBerry App World requesting
Official company documentation (ex. Articles of Incorporation, Business License). 
or an individual may provide either
1) A copy (front and back) of an official Government Issued Identification, clearly showing your name and date of birth or
2) A completed Notary Form attached. Anyone certified as a Notary can complete this for you (check your local listings).

Maybe I'm a bit impatient, but it's taking longer to get authorized to submit my app than it did to author it.

It took a day to review the Articles of Incorporation and Business License and this morning I uploaded my signed bar file.  What was not obvious was that I needed another 480x480 pixel icon file and up to 50 screenshots that are no larger than 640x640 pixels.  That screenshot size seems little odd considering that the Playbook resolution is 1024x600.  But anyway, the upload process timed out before I could finish creating the icon and screenshot files.

If you would like to know more about my apps, please check out www.SmartLittleKid.com

No comments:

Post a Comment